Chitarathai is native to India, leaves dull dark green, lighter undersides. White with yellow and red variegated fragrant flowers resembling snapdragons. It has very narrow foliage and stems and is a prolific plant. The medium size white and red flowers are attractive and appear on upright inflorescences. Chitharathai has nice reedy foliage but there is not much else going for it. This will only bloom on second year growth. A herbaceous plant which grows up to 1.5 m height. Leaves are green, glossy, long and narrow, 15-30 cm long and 2.5-5 cm broad. Rhizomes narrowly oblong, much branched and grow horizontally in the soil. Corolla segments are yellowish white and streaked with purple veins.Leaves, flowers and rhizomes are aromatic.
Internal Benefits of Chitharathai ( Lesser Galangal ):-
- Digestive and respiratory ailments in infants and children
- Rheumatic ailments
- Digestive problems
- Cough, headache, fever and indigestion
- Increases sperm count.
How to Consume Chitharathai (Lesser Galangal) Internally:-
- Chitharathai forCough: For cough with sputum, a piece of rhizome of this plant is slowly chewed. This is also good for vomiting issues.
- Chitharathai forInfants and children: For all sorts of digestive and respiratory ailments in infants and children, this rhizome is baked or heated and given after mixing with honey and breast milk.
- Chitharathai forRheumatic Ailments :1 to 3 gram of powder of this rhizome is administered thrice daily for rheumatic ailments.
- Chitharathai forDigestive Problems :For digestive problems, 1 to 5 grams of powder of this rhizome can be administered twice daily before food.
- Chitharathai forHeadache and Fever: Athimathuram, Thaleesapathri, Arathai and Thippili can be powdered, mixed in equal quantity and given along with honey for cough, headache, fever and indigestion.
- Chitharathai forIncrease in Sperm Count :Recent research on this plant have proved that regular administration of powder or decoction of this rhizome increases sperm count and acts as an Aphrodisiac.
|Dimensions||5 × 5 × 5 cm|