Common Names of Haritaki
- Botanical Name: Terminalia Chebula
- Tamil Name:கடுக்காய் – Kadukkai Pinju
- Telugu Name:కరక్కాయ – Karakkaya
- Hindi Name:हरड़ – Harad
- Gujarathi Name:Hardo
- Bengali Name:Haritaki, Horitoki
- English Name:Ink Nut, Chebulie
- Malayalam Name:കാട്ടുകൈ – Katukkai
- Kannada Name:Alalekaayi
- Marati Name:Hirada, Hirda
- Sanskrit Name:Pathya, Abhaya, Haritaki
- Oriya Name:Haridra
- Assamia Name: Hilikha
- Urdu Name:Harad
- Punjabi Name:Har, Harrar
The haritaki is one of the three herbal dried fruits used to make the most popular Ayurvedic formula Triphala.It is mostly cultivated in Southern Asia and India. The dried haritaki has been used in ayurveda for long years and used as Indian traditional medicine. It is also referred to as “chebulic myrobalan”. The haritaki has a bitter taste, and it is available in powder or the dietary supplementary form. This is rich in vitamin C, and it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. People use this haritaki for its wide range of health benefits; therefore it is used to treat allergies, sore throat, indigestion, and constipation. In Ayurveda, the haritaki is used to support Vata.
The way of taking the powder in the different seasons is given below.
- In Summer:In summer, the haritaki powder can be taken with jaggery.
- In early Winter:In the early winter, try to take this haritaki powder with ginger and in the late winter, take the haritaki powder with the long pepper.
- In autumn Season:The haritaki powder is taken with the flavored or natural honey to get its benefits.
- But using different ways in different seasons is hard to follow, so it is better to consume the haritaki powder with honey or long pepper.
Proven Health Benefits Of Haritaki (Kadukkai)
· Manage Diabetes
- it helps to control the blood sugar level. The insulin is generated from the pancreatic β-cells of the body, the haritaki powder helps to consume the luteolin on the cell.
- The haritaki powder is also used to reduce the starch breakdown in the glucose, which helps regulate the insulin level and leads the blood glucose at the lower level.
· Promotes Digestion
- It is widely used to treat gastric problems, such as heartburn, esophagitis, flatulence, diarrhea, indigestion, peptic ulcer, constipation, gastroesophageal reflux disease, stomach pain, and flatulence.
- helps remove the abdominal gas, which reduces the bloating, abdominal distension, and gaseous cramps.
· Improves Oral Hygiene
- used as a mouthwash; it is used to treat various oral problems, such as mouth ulcers, gum disease, oral sores.
- The antibacterial property of the haritaki helps reduce the bacterial invasion from the oral cavities that help to protect cavity and tooth decay.
· Enhance Weight Loss
- This herb is used to improve digestion, which plays a key role in reducing obesity. The detoxifying property of the haritaki powder helps remove AMA toxins from the body that reduce the sudden hunger pangs. The haritaki powder with the glass of water and honey helps burn excess fat and energizes it.
· Heals Wounds and Infections
- has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties so that it is not only used to remove the germs and bacteria from the body and also helps to treat wounds and improve healing.
- This herb has bioactive compounds so that it is used to treat different skin problems like sores, skin fungus, etc from ancient times.
· Manages Oxidative Stress
- Consumption of haritaki will increase antioxidants in the body and help to fight against oxidative stress.
- haritaki boosts antioxidant properties in the body.
- Due to the presence of vitamin E, vitamin C, superoxide dismutase, and glutathione, it will improve your health in a good way.
· Improves Cognitive Function
- one of the traditional remedies for brain health, as it contains brain-boosting properties.
- The presence of flavonoids and antioxidants of haritaki will improve focus, memory capacity, calmness, concentration, and alertness.
- Consuming various forms of haritaki can act as a stimulator and brain tonic, which reduce the risk of neurodegenerative disorders. The neurodegenerative elements in this herb will reduce tension from the brain and prevent memory loss.
· Respiratory Anomalies
- The predominance of antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-asthmatic properties will effectively treat various respiratory problems like cough, cold, asthma, flu, etc.
- It also reduces the accumulation of phlegm in the nasal cavities and chest, and eases breathing.
- Daily consumption of haritaki will strengthen your lung tissues and maintain lung health.
· Maintain Heart Health
- The heart-healthy properties of haritaki play a vital role to treat heart problems. We already know that haritaki can calm our mind and relaxes our cardiac system.
- This function is more beneficial for people who are suffering from palpitations and arrhythmias.
- Haritaki will effectively treat fortified heart muscles, prevent lipid formation, and reduce cholesterol levels in blood, so it reduces the risk of heart attacks, atherosclerosis, blood clots, heart blocks, etc.
· Boost Immunity
- has a wealth of Vitamin C and antioxidants that proves it as a great source for boosting the immune system, fighting microbes, and treating infections.
- It also has strong anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and antifungal properties that effectively treats infections.
- Consumption of haritaki also improves regeneration of tissues and will quickly heal your wounds.
For Adults: The ayurvedic doctors recommend 5-10 gms of haritaki powder once or twice a day before and after food.
For Children: It is recommended to take 1-2 gm once or twice in a day. It is suggested to give the haritaki powder with a glass of water or milk and a spoonful of honey, or you can take as the suggestion of your doctor.
Prepare a decoction by using all these ingredients.
- Take a seedless haritaki powder and purify it using a purification device like dola yantra.
- Add this purified powder and jaggery in yellow-fruit nightshade decoction and heat it until it gets the semi-solid state.
- Allow it to cool and add other ingredients at the end with some honey and mix it thoroughly.
- Store this semi-solid vyaghri haritaki avaleha formulation in an airtight glass jar.
|Dimensions||5 × 5 × 5 cm|