A variety of herbs have been traditionally used in the treatment of diseases since ancient times. Plants rich in these medicinal qualities are also used in Ayurvedic medicine. Indian Acalypha is one of these medicinal plants rich in such excellent health beneficial properties. This herb has been used extensively as an antidote for a variety of ailments.
What is Kuppaimeni /Acalypha Indica?
Kuppaimeni is an herbal plant. This plant is known as ‘Kuppikhakli’ in Hindi. This plant belongs to the genus ‘A. Indica’ and the family ‘Euphorbiaceous’. ‘Acalypha Indica’– is the scientific name of Indian Acalypha.
This herbal plant is used in Powerful pharmacological activities and traditional medicine such as anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-diabetic, anti-hypertensive, anti-diabetic and antihypertensive. It is known to be a good remedy for respiratory problems, rheumatoid arthritis, scabies, insect bites, and also helps in wound healing. Decoction made from whole plants is used to treat bronchitis, epilepsy, amniocentesis, mouth ulcers, asthma and pneumonia. The benefits of Indian Acalypha are seen in case of scabies, dermatitis and other skin infections. A remedy made from the flower buds is also seen as a remedy for headache.
Traditionally, Indian Acalypha are used to treat unwanted hair growth and skin problems such as pimples, psoriasis, eczema, cold-coughs and to treat intestinal worms.
Indian Acalypha roots are used in traditional medicine to treat many ailments like gonorrhea, diarrhea, dysentery, chest pain, ear infections, and injuries. Root decoction is used in some parts of Africa to treat stomach ache and to remove intestinal worms. Root decoction is also used to treat diabetes and fever and also used as a laxative.
Chemical substance in Kuppaimeni / Acalypha indica
- Bio robin
- Acalypha Mide
Benefits of Kuppaimeni / Acalypha Indica
1. Anti-inflammatory properties:
Indian Acalypha herb has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. When these plants are used externally, they can reduce inflammation very effectively. This plant is usually used as a poultice to get the benefits of it. It heals injuries as well as reduces inflammation quickly.
2. Analgesic properties:
Kuppaimeni plant has analgesic properties. This herbal remedy is very effective in reducing toxins. In many villages the paste of this plant is used as a poultice on wounds as it helps in reducing both inflammation and pain.
3. Anthelmintic properties:
Kuppaimeni plant has anthelmintic properties. Traditionally; the juice or decoction made of Indian Acalypha leaf is consumed to get rid of intestinal worms. Research has proven the uses of this herb.
4. Antibacterial properties:
The mentioned plant has both antifungal and antibacterial properties which makes it one of the best remedies for skin problems. Kuppaimeni oil can be prepared and used to treat many skin problems like bronchitis, eczema etc. Indian Acalypha powder can be used in face packs for the treatment of various skin problems.
5. Anti venom properties:
Another amazing medicinal use of Kuppaimeni is as anti-toxic properties. Extraction of the leaves of the plant effectively kills the venom of Russell Vipers. The leaves are usually boiled in water and given to people who are bitten by the Russel Viper.
6. Wound Healing Capacity:
Indian Acalypha is used to treat wound injuries. This plant is very popular as a wound healer. As it grows abundantly all over the land, just applying the poultice of leaves on the wound helps in quick healing.
7. Anti-ulcer properties:
The extraction of Indian Acalypha has amazing anti-inflammatory properties. The use of this plant’s extract has been shown to significantly reduce ulceration, gastric emptying and HDT.
8. Anti-diabetic properties:
The Indian Acalypha plant has anti-diabetic properties. Indian Acalypha herb can help lower blood sugar levels and significantly inhibit sugar spikes. Therefore, this herb is good for diabetics.
9. Larvicidal and Ovicidal properties:
Indian Acalypha leaf extraction has been shown to be effective against malaria, which in turn causes mosquito Anopheles stephensi. Extraction of this plant’s leaves can be used as an effective mosquito repellant spray.
10. Antioxidant properties:
Indian Acalypha plant has antioxidant properties. Extract of this herbal plant helps to remove free radicals from the human body which causes premature ageing.
Traditional Uses of Indian Acalypha / Kuppaimeni
- The benefits and uses of Kuppaimeni can be seen in the treatment of arthritis and gout.
- This herb is used in folk medicine to control vomiting.
- In traditional Austrian medicine, this herb is used internally for the treatment of urinary tract, kidney problems, locomotor system, gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system, haemorrhage, gout, rheumatism, skin problem, flu etc.
- Extraction of the leaves of Kuppaimeni plant helps in controlling glycaemic level in people having type-2 Diabetes.
- Rubbing the fresh leaves of Kuppikoko plant on the skin effectively treats Rheumatism.
- Infusion of fresh leaves of Indian Acalypha plant can heal burns quickly and relieve toxins.
- Extraction of medicinal leaves of Kuppaimeni is used as an antidote to snake venom.
- These leaves are also used to make homeopathic remedies.
- Traditionally; this herb is also used as an effective treatment of cancer.
- This herb reduces the risk of respiratory diseases like bronchitis, cough, asthma, chest congestion, tuberculosis etc.
Uses of Kuppikoko / Acalypha indica
The whole Kuppikoko plant is used for medicinal purposes in different ways as cures, extracts, decoctions, infusions and pastes for the treatment of various diseases or health issues.
Side effects of Indian Acalypha / Acalypha indica
The toxicity of India Acalypha is very low. A study on rats proves that the leaves of this plant have the lowest toxicity. Following are the some of its side effects on human body:
• People with glucose-6 phosphate dehydrogenase problems should avoid consuming Kuppikoko plant in any form as this can lead to hemolysis.
• Kuppikoko plant has anti-infertility properties. Therefore, people who are planning for pregnancy should avoid taking this herb.
Due to the medicinal benefits of Indian Acalypha, it should be used in the right amount on a regular basis as excessive use of any medicinal herb can be harmful to health. Although this herb works as an antidote for many diseases, it is suggested to consult a physician before taking it as medicine in any health problem.
How to use?
Here is how to prepare the decoction of Kuppaimeni:
- Mix 5 gms of the powder in 100 ml water.
- Boil the content for few minutes.
- Once the water gets warm, filter the content and drink it before food.
- Repeat the same for morning and evening dosages.
|Dimensions||5 × 5 × 5 cm|