Bael, Vilva (in Tamil) is a sacred tree and for many Indians the word vilva will bring the image of lord Shiva in their mind. Vilva leaves are considered so sacred that elders usually advice us not to stamp or play with it. You will find vilva tree in most ancient temples, especially Shiva temples for using it in pooja. Every single part of vilva tree has medicinal values and if we know how to use them, we can easily use it in our daily lives and get the amazing benefits.
The plant is commonly known as Bael, Bilva, Stone Apple or wood apple. Vilvam is its Tamil name. Vilvam has unmatched medicinal values however the following precautions will be helpful to enjoy its benefits without any side effects. Vilvam should be avoided by pregnant women.
Internal Benefits of Vilvam (Bael) :-
- Vilvam leave extract is helpful in increasing immunity and is effective against seasonal diseases like cough, cold and fever.
- Children often get sick during cold weather. As per ancient medicine Vilvam extract is safe for children and can be given to them during such infections.
- Vilvam is rich in fibre which makes it a wonderful laxative. It has tannins which help relieve diarrhoea, cholera and other digestive disorders.
- Vilvam has anti oxidant properties as well due to which it helps remove toxins from body and improve overall metabolism.
- Vilvam is also known for its property to regulate thyroid secretion there by maintaining normal thyroid function and prevents hyperthyroidism.
- Vilvam is hepato-protective in nature and hence protects liver from injuries and keeps it healthy. Because of this property it is highly recommended in case of liver infections like cirrhosis, jaundice and other liver disorders. Vilvam is also found to have Ulcer healing potential.
- Vilvam has hypoglycaemic properties. It reduces oxidative stress on pancreas by reducing the free radicals and increases the level of antioxidants there by reducing the risk of diabetes. Regular use of Vilvam has shown good results in diabetic patients.
External Benefits of Vilvam (Bael) :-
- Vilvam leaves have phytochemicals which help maintain blood pressure. It has soothing effect on body and hence a fine paste of Vilvam leaves applied on forehead relieves headache.
- Vilvam is anti-inflammatory in nature and hence it is highly effective in both chronic and acute inflammation. Vilvam leaf paste applied on the inflamed part provides quick relief from inflammation.
- A concoction of Vilvam leaves with salt and carom is found to be highly effective in curing allergies caused by food products. The said combination is also known to relieve skin allergies.
How to consume Vilvam (Bael) Internally :-
- Morning – Mix 5 gms of powder in 100 ml water, Boil the content for few minutes. once the water gets warm, filter the content and drink it before food. Repeat the same for Evening Dosage after dinner.
How to Apply Vilvam (Bael) Externally :-
- Add few drops of lemon in the paste, effective for pimples & scars
|Dimensions||5 × 5 × 5 cm|