Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a perennial herbaceous plant that grows up to 1mt in height. Leaves of this plant are alternate, smooth, green, tapering at both ends and arranged in the pair of two. Leaves are further divided into leaf sheath, leaf blade, and petiole. A false stem is arising from the leaf sheath and leaves are about 2 feet in length. This plant produces highly branched, yellow to orange colored, cylindrical, and very aromatic rhizomes. The flowering season of the plant is usually the month of august and the plant produces hermaphrodite flowers. Flowers are dull yellow in color and arranged in a pair of five.
Turmeric is the spice that gives curry its yellow color. It has been used in India for thousands of years as a spice and medicinal herb. Recently, science has started to back up what Indians have known for a long time it really does contain compounds with medicinal properties. These compounds are called curcuminoids, the most important of which is curcumin. Curcumin is the main active ingredient in turmeric.
- Curcuma is used as a blood purifier and it is used in the treatment of atherosclerosis, it is used to remove accumulation in the blood vessels and used to remove toxins from the body. It is used to expel out extra Kapha and Meda dosha from the body.
- It is used in the treatment of diabetes. Turmeric herb is very effective herb that is used in the treatment of diabetes
- Being anti-inflammatory this herb is used to reduce inflammation and used in the treatment of bone-related disorders
- Being a stimulant it is used to stimulate digestive fire and it is used as a stomach tonic and used in various ailments associated with the digestive system.
- Externally its paste is used for wound healing and it is also helpful to rejuvenate skin tone. It is used to heal sores and is also used in various cosmetics
- It is anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant in nature and used in the different body disorders
- Externally its paste is used in the treatment of acne and pimples. It is also beneficial to treat anemia.
- It is the main home remedy to cure a common cold and cough.
- Due to its hot potency, it is used to pacify Kapha and Vata dosha and due to its dry properties, bitter and pungent taste this herb is used in the pacification of kapha dosha