Black Stone Flower or Dagad Phool is a soft brown and black colored lichen that gives the signature black color to various masalas like Goda Masala/Kala Masala. It has a strong earthy aroma and a very dry, light fluffy texture and feels to it. It has no taste, no smell and is light like paper. You cannot crush it or powder it – it has to be torn apart like say, cellophane tape. It is used extensively in Chettinadu cooking, especially chicken curries etc., and in the Maharashtrian ‘Goda’ masala.
Make your food delicious with the spices that can undoubtedly do magic with the food. India is known for its local spices that make the food extraordinary, and every region has its spices. One such spice is the black stone flower (kalpasi) that very few know about it. Apart from the taste that it gives, it also contributes to your health. The Black Stone flower (Kalpasi) or Dagad Phool is a spice that is soft brown and black. It is dry and has a strong earthy aroma smell. The black stone flowers are grown in various places from Himachal Pradesh to Arunachal Pradesh. It is an edible fungus that grows on trees and rocks naturally without any cultivation. The spice gives a flavor and color to the foods that are more commonly eaten in the South Indian cuisine from Tamil Nadu and Maharashtrian special ‘goda masala’. Though there are not many scientific studies and research stating it to therapeutic, ancient traditional healers believe in its healing property.
Benefits of black stone flower (kalpasi)
- Reduces Inflammation
- Improves Kidney Stones
- Improves Digestion
- Reduces the risk of heart-related problems
- Excellent source for healthy skin
- Heals Wounds
- Heals cough and asthma
- Fights Bacterial and Fungal Infections
- Though it offers a wide range of benefits, it also has some side effects that you need to be aware of:
- Individuals with hypersensitive issues could experience an allergic reaction
- If you have sensitive skin, you could experience rashes, contact a dermatologist if there is a certain reaction.
- Women who are lactating and pregnant should consult a doctor before consuming it.
- The black stone flower (kalpasi) adds a wonderful taste to your food.
- Add black stone flower (kalpasi) to the soup as it has a mild aromatic flavor that makes the taste better
- Could be used in meat dishes
- Roast the black stone flower (kalpasi) with a little oil as it can be added to any local food.